Still had to make the heel blocks. I've done a ton of photos on this, showing every little step. Heels are very 3D items, and you have to have two exactly the same. I'm hoping to find some more sources for heels, because carving them out of white oak isn't, I think, a good long-term solution. The wood will eventually break from the impact, if nothing else.
So - I started with a block that was the right height and width. I traced the angle of the sole, making sure I still had about 1/4" of toe spring, and cut the top off at that angle. I also rounded off the back profile.
Then, give the top a sloped concave curve, to account for the fact that the bottom of the shoe is not flat.
Check this against the boot, and draw the front and rear.
Oops - this one got caught in the saw, and is now firewood.
Don't forget - you have to make two that are identical.
Next, the heel breast - that's the front edge, which should have an inward curve.
Not pictured here - the final shaping step, which was to angle the sides in a little from top to bottom. These wood heel blocks were then stained with a dark mahogany wood stain, and attached to the boots with a 1 1/2" screw. The comfort insoles were put in, and it was time to try them on:
Overall, however, I'm really pleased with how these turned out. I'll absolutely be able to walk the couple of blocks from our hotel to the party in them, without getting sore feet or blisters, and that's great. Yay! Boots!